Bow Advice

Worried about the cost of living and the rise in energy costs? Help is available for Bow residents.

What are some options?

You might qualify for the following:

• Winter Fuel Payment – a £100 to £300 fuel payment for people born on or before 5 October 1954.
• Cold Weather Payment – a £25 payment for every 7 days of very cold weather between November and March.
• Warm Home Discount – a £140 discount for some people getting Pension Credit or some people in low-income households.

DWP Hardship Payment
If you have been sanctioned, you may be able to request a hardship payment from the Jobcentre. Hardship payments are not always paid immediately, and they are not available to everyone. Hardship payments of Universal Credit need to be paid back (a loan), but hardship payments of Job Seekers Allowance or Employment Support Allowance do not (not a loan).

Council Local Welfare Scheme
People on low incomes may be able to access Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support and Discretionary Housing Payment from the Council. Find out more at:

Bow Food Bank
Bromley-by-Bow Centre, St Leonard’s Street, London E3 3BT. Entrance through the park on Bruce Road or St.Leonards Street. Mondays 8.30-12.30. Contact 07934 734603 (call or text) @bowfoodbank

Grants to help pay off your energy debts
If you are in debt to your energy supplier, you might be able to get a grant to help pay it off.
The following energy suppliers offer grants to their customers:
British Gas Energy Trust
Scottish Power Hardship Fund
Ovo Energy Fund
E.ON Energy Fund
E.ON Next Energy Fund
EDF Energy Customer Support Fund
If you can’t get a grant from your own supplier, check if you can get a grant from the British Gas Energy Trust. These grants are available to anyone – you don’t have to be a British Gas customer.

Get help…
We can help you maximise your income and help with debt and welfare benefit advice. We can also challenge DWP decisions. In the past 12-months we have successfully appealed nearly 500 cases with a success rate of over 85%.
We are a charity and all our advice and help is free. If you need help, then please contact us at  telephone 0203 606 0372 or complete the below enquiry form:

Bow Advice Enquiry
This enquiry form is only for residents of Bow, E3.
Please only complete this form if you live in Bow. For all other areas, please go to the Contact Us page.